Wednesday 30 January 2013

Cezanne Reflection

1. For this unit, I chose to make a painting of an orange sand-dune against a blue sky. I used oil paint, which allowed me to blend the colors on the canvas and work on it over a period of time without it drying out.
2. I used the contrasting colors of orange in blue to create my piece. There were many variations of these colours through the painting. The sand dune had different shades of orange, with red and yellow tints to create value. The sky followed a gradient pattern from dark blue to light blue with different shades of cobalt.
3. I applied Cezanne's techniques by using contrasting warm and cool colours. There were tints of blue in the sand dune to connect it with the blue of the sky, unifying the whole piece. At first, I had planned to use little droplets of thick paint and layer them on one by one, to create a texture. However, this technique took way to long, and didn't turn out the way I had planned. In the end, I smoothed it over, and went with a more simple texture.
4. The motif of my painting would be the orange color. This color appeared several times throughout the sand dune, and had different variations to create value.
5. I think that my painting creates a hot, desert-y mood. I established this through the use of bright, vibrant oranges and reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment